Tuesday, April 28, 2009

P-36A LT Harry Brown



This was my first attempt a building a Pearl Harbor aircraft. This is the old Monogram 1/72 P-36 Hawk kit from 1967. I had actually build it back in the 80's but I never finished it as I wanted to paint the model in natural metal and I screwed up on painting the Silver SNJ finish. So it sat in a box for many years until I had the urge to build it as a Pearl Harbor aircraft.

I had to locate most the parts and I bought a Squadron clear replacement window to replace the original one I lost. It isn't the best model I've build but it did start the passion for building and collecting Pearl Harbor aircraft.

This aircraft features LT Harry Brown's P-36A that was responsible for shooting down Japanese aircraft on Dec 7th 1941.

I do question the marking placements and some painting details that I got from the reference material. After collecting many photographs of Dec 7th aircraft I believe the markings on the tail should be black not white stencils. Also most photos of the aircraft national insignia on the wing put them on as one at the top and one on the bottom, not in four places. I could be wrong but I believe it's speculation and neither of the opinions can be proven right until we see a photo of the actual aircraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment